Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Versailles

          Two weekends ago (June 24), I went to Versailles!!  It was a dream come true.  One of my favorite guilty pleasures is Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette.  Since I saw that movie, I have always wanted to go to Versailles and see where Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI lived.  I went with some of the girls in the program who I really like and have bonded with.  Get this, one of them is named Katelin (I like her, but it's too bad her name is misspelled)!  It's also weird because if someone calls me, she turns and vice versa.  
          Unfortunately, it was raining when we got there.  Not very hard, but it was really windy and it didn't stop raining the whole time.  It was OK when we were inside, but we wanted to spend time in the gardens.  We might go back when it's sunny so we can better enjoy the amazing gardens.  

          Anyway, here are some pictures I took at Versailles... 


We took two trains to get there.  It wasn't so bad at all.  It may have taken 30 minutes or so.  When we got to the town Versailles is in, we walked a little and turned a corner to see this.  I was so excited!  It took my breath away:)

A statue of Louis XIII in front of the entrance.

Walking towards Versailles

The entrance gate

The line was so long to get in.  Luckily, Katelin is really savvy and we were able to cut the line.  I felt a  little bad, but it was miserable outside and we didn't want to wait in the wind and the rain...

Finally inside the gates

A model of Versailles

Hey girl

A staircase

There are so many statues at Versailles.  I love the long halls.  There are so many.  I could not imagine living here. 


Everything at Versailles is so ornate.  The ceilings are especially beautiful.



The Hall of Mirrors!!! I was looking forward to this the most.  It was beyond words.



Every window is across from an equally sized mirror.



Squirrel!


The view of the gardens from the Hall of Mirrors

Fleur de lis, the symbol of the French monarchy

The King's bedroom


There was this horrible art display at Versailles while we were there.  However, some was interesting.  These are shoes made out of pots and pans to represent how women represent both beauty and normality.

There is one mirror that had writing all over it.  I'm not sure why, but I thought it looked cool.

The Queen's room.  The door in the back corner was used to escape when Versailles was stormed and the royal family tried to flee France.

Another piece from the weird art.  I thought this was funny.  It's called Dauphine et Dauphin.

The Coronation of Napoleon by Jacques-Louis David.  There is also one at the Louvre

Nappy

Another Fleur de lis.  Loves it.

Outside of Versailles.  Too bad it was rainy:(

Even though the weather was bad, it still looked amazing.  I hope I have time to go back and see it in all its glory.

Incroyable





It started to rain really hard and became super windy.  We hopped on a train that took us around the gardens instead of walking in the rain.  The train took us to Marie Antoinette's get-away.  It was very "plain" inside compared to Versailles, but still very cute.


A well known portrait of Marie Antoinette

Her game room.

Her bedroom.

The gardens of her petite maison.  


          I will remember my visit to Versailles for the rest of my life.  It was beyond what I was expecting.  I also loved that I got to go with three great girls!  

          Hopefully, I will post soon.  Sorry I've been so flaky:(  Au revoir, mes amies!



This Week's Soundtrack:



A mix of songs from the soundtrack of the film:
          One of my favorite soundtracks.  I was imagining these songs playing as I walked through Versailles.  I love this movie and Sofia Coppola.  She knows her music and how to set a tone...

  1. "Hong Kong Garden (With Strings Intro)" – Siouxsie and the Banshees
  2. "Aphrodisiac" – Bow Wow Wow
  3. "What Ever Happened?" – The Strokes
  4. "Pulling Our Weight" – The Radio Dept.
  5. "Ceremony" – New Order
  6. "Natural's Not in It" – Gang of Four
  7. "Kings of the Wild Frontier" – Adam and the Ants
  8. "I Don't Like It Like This" – The Radio Dept.
  9. "Plainsong" – The Cure
  10. "Keen on Boys" - The Radio Dept.
  11. "Fools Rush In" - Bow Wow Wow
  12. "All Cats Are Grey" - The Cure






No comments:

Post a Comment