Thursday, June 21, 2012

Bonjour, Paris!


            I’ve made it!  The flight was really long.  It took about 10 hours.  Luckily, I had a direct flight from San Francisco to Paris, so I didn’t have to worry about a connection.  However, I will have a connection in Atlanta on my way home.  I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.  As for my flight to Paris, it went as well as can be expected.  I didn’t get any sleep on the plane, so I was exhausted when I got off and for the first day.  Also, I was expecting a shuttle to drive me to the hotel when I got to Paris, but that fell through.  I guess no one knew to order the shuttle before hand.  Bummer to say the least.  So, because we (by we, I mean the 8 of us who were stranded) had no ride to the hotel, we took the Metro.  This sounded like the worst thing possible to me, seeing that I had never been to Paris before and had barely ridden a subway/metro system, even in America, and was extremely tired.  Surprisingly, it turned out to be very cheap and very easy, as well as very fun.  The 8 of us also got a chance to see a large part of Paris and hang out together. 

            These are two pictures of the train car we took to get into the city from the airport.





Once we got to the hotel, we were SOO tired!  I checked in to my room and met up with my roommate, Lara.  We have a very small view of the Eiffel Tower.  Other people have a full view, but we only have a sliver.  I still think it is really cool!  Lara and I had met before at a gathering a few of us went to in Westwood.  We liked each other’s style and decided to become roommates.  As simple as that:) We hung out for a while and unpacked our things and then went to the Monoprix across the street.  Let me tell you, if you don’t know what this is, you are missing out.  Everything you need is under one roof.  We bought some things for dinner (bread, cheese, prosciutto, all the essential Parisian necessities).  After that, we walked around our hood for a bit.

This is our room.
Our beds.  Guess which one is mine...  
Our kitchen with bread of the counter.  It was incredible! 

 This is the view from our window.  As you can see, we only get a sliver of the Tower, but it still looks really cool.
That's the Monoprix and a shot of the Metro across from our hotel.

Another shot of the view from our window.

This is under the Metro.

Some cafés and shops in our neighborhood.


  
             It is very cute and very Parisian.  It seemed to be right out of Amélie or a postcard.  Very exciting and fun!  Then we met up with our professor  (Teo), the TAs (Naomi and Jacob), and the rest of the crew.  Teo and the TA’s showed/told us a few things and then we went for a short walk.  Guess what I saw...





SO COOL!!!!!!  I almost cried, but I held myself together.  Lara reminded me that I would be seeing this everyday and to chill out.  She’s right :) After our walk, Teo let us go and Lara and I went to our room.  We showered, ate, and got ready to get out to see our home for the next 4 weeks.   I didn’t take a lot of picture on my walk.  I figured I would be doing a lot of that for the next month...

I am really so excited.  I know I say that every time, but it’s true.  I’m so happy to be here and with really fun, intelligent, and interesting people.  I was informed that our blog assignment will require us to write everyday.  This means I will most likely write less and will only post soundtracks once a week or have just a few songs depending on the theme of the day.  It’s just too much to write paragraph upon paragraph and include a large soundtrack for every entry.  Just hold tight and it will be figured out soon.

I have so much more exploring to do and will let you all in on it as it happens! Until them, au revoir mes aimes!

This Week’s Soundtrack

            I love this movie because “ugly and plain” Audrey is still more beautiful than most people.  How could she ever be considered boring??  However, the only bad thing about this movie is the expectations it gives me.  I have yet to see any French people randomly dance and sing.  What a let down!

            This is currently the song I am listening to over and over.  That shit cray.  And although there is a McDonalds by our hotel, I have not ordered a fish fillet, nor will I ever.

            While I am a tourist in Paris, Teo insists we become real Parisians.  I’m trying!

            Do I have to explain?  I’m spending a chunk of the summer in Paris, which is a city.  Duh...

             I love Talking Heads.  This is one of their better-known songs, and it features French.

The rest of these are some of my favorite French songs.  Some are really well known and others may not be, but I like them anyway...






No comments:

Post a Comment